Thursday, January 22, 2009

bumGenius




Here is Asher sporting his very first cloth diaper. It's a bumGenius and we bought a couple at our local Farmer's Market. I've been considering trying cloth diapers since I was pregnant, but just got too overwhelmed with the number of styles and features out there. There is so much to consider! We finally went on a recommendation of a couple of friends, and so here we are. So far we have 2 of them and we're in a trial phase to see if this could work for us. I must say, so far so good! They are pretty easy to use, and seem to work great. No leaks yet. They definitely are bulkier than disposables, and there is the laundry to consider. But I did find myself impressed with how they kept the moisture off of Asher's bottom and love the fact that they have little snaps to adjust the sizing, so that way they can be used from newborn up to potty training. Our main reason for trying cloth is the realization of how many disposables we go through and thinking about the impact of all that on the environment. Hopefully this route will work for us. I'll keep you posted!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha the name of them makes me laugh

I love the second picture of Asher posing. Too cute!

I also LOVE the idea of how much you're helping the environment with these suckers! Hope it continues to work out!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about that and I'm not going to use them right away, but probably at 1 year, I'll try cloth diapers. I still have to research all the different kinds though.....

Anonymous said...

SUCH an adorable picture of Asher in his spiffy haircut. He looks like he's in a commercial for cloth diapers!

You know, there are other disposables you can eliminate from your life....

:p

Mandi said...

Erin - thanks! The bumGenius name is not nearly as funny as some of the others; happy heiny's, fuzzi bunz, kissaluv's... pretty creative.

Rachel - it is a lot to think about. If you do decide to do it though, I'd suggest trying before one year. The start up cost is quite expensive, and in order to get your money's worth, I think you need to start earlier. I wouldn't use them right away when their having all those yucky meconium poops, but maybe around 1 or 2 months. We're sort of late starting out, ourselves. I guess I just thought, better late than never. And the diapers will always be good for more than one kid.

Mel - be gentle with me, friend. I still have to get my head around that one!

Anonymous said...

Looks great and i think they aren't as bulky as the cotton ones i have. I got my shipment of Mother-ease cloth diapers on friday...YAY me!! I love them, rachel loves them and hopefully sam likes them too! THe bamboo are soooo soft. Sam's coughing has stopped since we switched and i feel good about having less garbage sitting in the landfill!! There's no turning back for me now..i'm sold on cloth! I'm sure you will continue to love yours too...it's hard with just two i only had a couple for a long time and it was hard to give it a really good try but once you make the few adjustments that you need for cloth diapering it's pretty easy

Anonymous said...

okay so i've been trying to figure out what Mel was talking about with "other disposables" and then thought that i finally figured it out..until the other day. Now there could be two possibilities about what she meant...(both could be wrong but i think i might know) The other day i was on a site for making my own cloth wipes (for Sam..not me)and a lady commented how she made them, added a string to hang it and was using instead of toilet paper and talked about how bad toilet paper is...i'm still curious??

Anonymous said...

okay...just to clarify in case anyone else thought that i meant i wasn't going to use toilet paper anymore...not what i was curious about!! I was just still curious about mels comment...not about stopping toilet paper!!