Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Don't homemade things just feel better?

A few weeks ago, I started making homemade baby wipes for Asher. I got the recipe from a friend after battling with a pesky diaper rash that wouldn't go away (on Asher, of course). Since we've been using them, Asher's bum is pretty much rash free! They are so easy to make. Here's the recipe, in case you're interested:

2 cups warm water
2 TBSP olive oil or baby oil
1 TBSP castille soap or baby wash
4 drops lavender oil
4 drops tea tree oil

- Cut a roll of strong paper towel (like Bounty) in half and remove the center cardboard tube. Drop the roll into a tall container (like an ice cream container).
- In a jar or bowl, combine all ingredients and shake or stir vigorously. Pour immediately over the paper towel before the oil separates.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was just going to ask you for this recipe. my mom has a simple one that clears up diaper rash really quickly. a small jar of vaseline and a tsp of cornstarch mixed together.

Anonymous said...

I always made these because it was WAY cheaper...we used 'IWK buttocks paste' for rashes...which were never bad, I guess thanks to this combo.

Nikki said...

Want to make it even cheaper? Use cloth wipes! Baby wash cloths work really well. (Okay, I'm not speaking from experience, but I've done a lot of research, and it's what I'm going to do, along with cloth diapers!) You can put the solution in a spray bottle, or wipe warmer!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I've seen suggestions to cut a flannel sheet for wipes, and apparently it makes a million (give or take a few). And if you use pinking shears (the zigzag scissors), you don't even have to sew them.

Anonymous said...

I use to make my own wipes too. It is a lot cheaper and I beleive healthier.
Lorie-Ann

Mandi said...

Hey gals - so fun that so many of you are on board with the homemade baby wipes!