Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What Can I Say

For my birthday this year, my dear, sweet friend gave me a book of poetry.  I spent an hour and a half in a coffee shop by myself yesterday and devoured it, many times becoming teary, and, more importantly, becoming inspired.  Here is one of my favorite poems:


What Can I Say


What can I say that I have not said before?
So I'll say it again.
The leaf has a song in it.
Stone is the face of patience.
Inside the river there is an unfinishable story
   and you are somewhere in it
and it will never end until all ends.


Take your busy heart to the art museum and the
   chamber of commerce
but take it also to the forest.
The song you heard singing in the leaf when you
   were a child
is still singing.
I am of years lived, so far, seventy-four,
and the leaf is singing still.


Mary Oliver

4 comments:

erin said...

Woah that gave me goosebumps and got me teary and I'm so not a poetry girl as you know :) Thanks for sharing that. Good reminder that the leaf is still singing and that it will never stop - that brings an overwhelming hope and joy to my heart... thank that dear, sweet friend of yours for touching me with their gift as well.

PS- My word verification is "godly" quite fitting I think!

Mandi said...

:)

Greg (Papa) said...

uhhhh, I don't get it.
I even put it through Google translator and it couldn't understand it either. Must be a about women thing. lol

erin said...

ha ha Greg!