Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thankful Thursday

This has been a tough week for me, for many, many reasons. In the middle of these kinds of weeks I know it's even more important for me to express my gratitude, even though no part of me wants to do that. Finding the silver lining, I guess. I need a change in perspective.

So this week I am thankful for...

... the middle of the night cuddles and nursing sessions with my baby; I know that one day I will miss this precious time.

... feeling tired, for it reminds me how important rest is.

... getting to make Levi's baby food from scratch, for I know exactly what is going into his system.

... tantrums and challenges with Asher, for through that we get to talk about feelings, and learn how to problem solve. This is the important stuff of life, I know.

... getting to demonstrate to Asher that I am not perfect, and I too need to apologize when I do something wrong.

... this week when Asher said, "I'm so frustrated because I want that toy and I can't have it". Atleast the boy can verbalize that.

... the book I'm reading on Restorative Justice; it's helping me in parenting - who knew!

... Asher's long road to becoming potty trained, for through that I am learning patience, persistence, and practicing how to love my child unconditionally.

... Asher pooping in the potty 3 times this week!

... quick and easy suppers!

... a TV at my kitchen computer - it makes the time of cooking supper pass a little quicker.

... my amazing support network of friends - I number of who connected with me after my rough day on Monday. I couldn't make it through this parenthood journey without their listening ear, and perspective sharing.

... kids eating free at Montana's on Tuesdays!

... seeing my grandmother hold my son - nothing cooler than that.

... surprising my mom for her 50th birthday party!

... watching my mom cry as she looked through the scrapbook I made her as a gift - nothing more rewarding.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

So encouraging to read this. I love how you always try to be positive despite many of the difficult or tiring things that you are doing! (And thank goodness that tomorrow is Friday!)

Greg (papa) said...

"... a TV at my kitchen computer..."
Wow, in the long list of "techy" solutions I provide for my wife one has actually made a thankful list! I do believe this now warrents a budget increase in this area.

erin said...

I can't comment on your previous post for some reason :( So I'm going to mess it all up and do it here...

I hear you on the envy friend, thanks for your honest post. I wrestle with this as well, especially as I find so many things in my life unknown right now. The longing for what I used to know, and what I feel like others still have, can be overwhleming at times. You're not alone buddy!!!

OH AND your blog is being read in Baltimore now, you're famous :)