Thursday, August 19, 2010

Prenatal Visit #10

[Sorry folks, no picture this time!]

Date: August 19, 2010 = 38 weeks pregnant

baby boo's heart rate = 147 bpm

weight = 180.4 lbs (that's a total of 44 lbs gained so far - unbelievable. My bet is that 10 lbs of it is water retention located solely in my feet and ankles!)

blood pressure = She didn't tell me the number, but said it was normal

urine = no issues

belly measurements = again, I don't know the number, but it's on target


- My doctor confirmed again the Strep B diagnosis, which means I do need the antibiotics during labour. It would be ideal if I had one full dose, which takes 4 hours, before baby boo is born. I'm hoping my labour isn't much longer than that! The reason I need the antibiotics is because the baby could get meningitis and some other complications if he gets the Strep B. This would be very rare, but they give the antibiotics as a precaution.

- The doctor said the baby is very low in my pelvis (read: locked, loaded and ready to go). This could mean that I'm getting closer to that magical delivery date.

- This information of the baby being very low in my pelvis explains the constant pressure I've been feeling and my lack of bladder control. The guy literally is sitting on and squishing my bladder. Awesome.

- The swelling in my feet and ankles has reached new proportions. It's unbelievable and very uncomfortable. I look, and feel like, I have hobbit feet. The bad news is the swelling no longer goes down at night and my feet are still slightly swollen when I wake up in the morning.

- I have had tremendous support this week from family and friends. I have been so tired and low energy and unable to move that just getting through the day is a challenge. Many people have volunteered to care for Asher, push the stroller for me, have us over for supper, provide meals, and do other small tasks. It's been amazing and I feel very blessed!

- I am now at the point that every phone call I make to my husband during the day has to start with "I'm not in labour". This is constantly in the back of his mind. I can't wait until I can call him to say "It's time!"

- Greg has refreshed his memory on his massage techniques in preparation for the big day.

- The next full moon is August 24 - my money is on that for delivery day!

- I'd love to know your guesses for baby's weight, length, and birth date - got any?

8 comments:

mel said...

love Love LOVE you, friend! Every day you get closer to bringing this little God-gift into the world!

Rachel said...

Hey Mandi, I think he'll be 8 lbs right on and 20 inches and born on the 21st (hopefully for you) At least you don't have all the hair that hobbit feet do but I understand swollen ankles!

erin said...

hey you...sorry I can't be more helpful to you this week, or in weeks to come :( I'm sad that I'm not going to get to meet this dude until Nov!!! I love Rachel's due date becuase that means I'd get to see him, but I think it's going to be Aug. 30, and he'll be 26 inches long, and 12 pounds...ha ha ha you're welcome! K k I'm stcking wiht Aug. 30, 21 inches, and 8.4 better? You can do this, you're almost there! Muah!

Andrea said...

hmm before i start guessing....how much did asher weigh?? He was two weeks early right? Okay so i'm just warning you that it's really hard not to expect the same thing with the second birth but it's very possible that this baby won't be early too....rachel was a few days early and sammy was induced 8 days after my due date...i don't want to be discouraging but it can be crushing if you go past what you did with your first but very possible.. HOpefully that full moon will be a powerful one!!!

Mandi said...

August 21 - that would rock! 12 lbs - that would NOT rock!

For the record, Asher came 1 week early to the day, weighed 7 lbs 6 oz and was 21.5 inches long.

Andrea - thanks for the reality check. I keep expecting this baby to come early because Asher did, but I know that doesn't mean he will. It's hard not to expect the same the second time around. I wonder what the 3rd time will bring for you?? :)

Andrea said...

lol i know..i hope i won't have meltdowns (like i did with samantha, every day after my due date) if i go late again. This pregnancy has been a lot like rachels and since i'm constantly trying to stop contractions since 26 weeks i'm hoping this means this little one won't be late (as long as it's not too early).

okay so my guess....i'm guessing 22 inches long and 8 pounds 5 ounces...can't wait for him to come so you can meet him and have some relief from your kankles!!

mom said...

Hi I,m guessing for Aug 26, that works for everyone and It would be closer to my vacation to help with ASher, but baby boo is going to come when he is ready , I guess the weight around 8.5 lbs. can't wait to meet our new grandson

AIM said...

Don't hate me! I'm going to go into September ... is that mean???? I'm gonna say September 1st, 7 lbs 13 oz, and he'll be 19 inches. Although he may be carrying a basketball ... : D

Saying that, though, I hope (for your ankles' sake) that I'm wrong. xoxo!