Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Marriage advice gone wrong...

I need to share this story about my husband because it struck me as pretty ironic, and maybe a little bit funny, that as he was preparing to do a marriage blessing at a wedding ceremony this weekend, he said this to me. As we were getting ready to attend this friends wedding, I asked my husband this question: "Honey, do I look pretty even though I'm fat?" Being almost 8 months pregnant, feeling about the size of a house, and having limited clothing options, can you blame me really?

Greg responded immediately, without even looking at me I might add, "Yes honey you look pretty and fat"

Ummmm, wrong answer.

Greg swore that he just repeated what he heard me say, but I definitely did not say what he repeated.

Lesson: listening to your partner means actually listening to what they say. Those little words like "and", "or", "even", etc. really do make the world of difference!

Perhaps my husband should have done a better job at listening to that marriage advice...

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Ben's response when I read him this was "Ooooh, wrong answer!"

AIM said...

Women all over the world are shaking their heads, while all the men cringe and duck ... ; )

And for the record, while my opinion isn't as important as that of the man you love, I don't think you look pretty. I think you look AMAZING. It's a wonderful thing our bodies can do. Enjoy every single second of your new & glorious body. You're building a human bean!

xoxo

andrea said...

well as much of a wrong answer as that was, i have to say...that was a loaded question!!! That's a question that we women probably shouldn't ask and silly for you to ask because your gorgeous with a beautiful pregnant belly!!!

Mandi said...

Rach - Ben was right on that one!

Ingrid - Thanks for your lovin' friend. It means a lot to hear that the pregnant body is beautiful, because it doesn't feel that way to me sometimes! I appreciate, and need, that perspective. Thank you!

Andrea - true enough it was a loaded question... but still. I'm pregnant, I can't be blamed for such things ;)

Nikki said...

Haha. When I was pregnant with Neriah, I asked James if I looked like a whale, and he said, "You look like a COOL whale!" Umm... lol.

E said...

Just reminds me never to ask this question if I'm pregnant. lol

E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.