Thursday, June 10, 2010

New recipe time!

Lately I've been on a "try new recipes" kick because frankly I'm getting quite sick of our regular rotation. It's always fun for me to do this, however there's never a guarantee that the recipe will turn out, or that anyone will like it.

Here are 3 recipes I've made over the past week that we've all liked! This is a rarity in my house, so deserves special highlight.

(I'm sorry I don't have pictures - I rarely think to do this when I'm in the kitchen)


Golden Cheddar Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups whole wheat or all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups shredded old cheddar or colby cheese
1 large apple, peeled, cored, and diced
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
2 TBSP melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir in cheese and apple. Beat together eggs, milk, butter and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.

2. Lightly grease non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. Pour in batter, 1/4 cup for each pancake, and spread into 4-inch rounds. Cook until bubbles form on surface and underside is golden brown. Turn and brown other side.

3. Repeat to make additional pancakes. Serve warm with syrup and fruit.

My notes:
These were very hearty and I like that there's lots of protein, calcium and fruit mixed right in the pancake; this way I know the boys are getting their fill!

This recipe makes quite a few pancakes, but I didn't like them as well leftover.


Feta and Potato Cakes
Ingredients:
1 lb floury potatoes peeled
salt and pepper
4 scallions, chopped
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (I used dried)
1 egg, beaten
1 TBSP lemon juice
all-purpose flour, for dusting
3 TBSP vegetable oil
fresh chives, to garnish

Directions:
1. Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for about 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Place the potatoes in a bowl and mash well.

2. Add the scallions, feta, thyme, egg and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

3. Take small handfuls of the potato mixture and roll into balls about the size of a walnut between the palms of your hands. Flatten each one slightly and dust all over with flour. Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat and cook the potato cakes, in batches if necessary, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve, garnished with chives.

My notes:
This would be a GREAT use for leftover mashed potatoes. These were so easy and simple to make and tasted really quite good. We served them with a pasta dish we were having, but they would look so cute accompanying just about anything. They would be great with a salad for lunch. I liked this as a different way to serve potatoes.

I found if you flipped the cakes too many times while cooking them they tended to break apart.


Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Hermits
Ingredients:
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp each baking powder and cinnamon
1/2 tsp each baking soda and salt
1/2 tsp each ground nutmeg, allspice, and cloves
1 cup each raisins and chocolate chips
1/2 cup each chopped dates and nuts (I used pecans)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, beat shortening with sugar. Beat in eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, allspice and cloves; stir into sugar mixture. Stir in raisins, chocolate chips, dates and nuts.

2. Drop by teaspoon about 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 45 cookies.

My notes:
Our whole family likes these! Wow! I know they are still a treat, but I feel so great knowing that there is some healthy stuff in there atleast.

They were easy to make, but the batter is very, very moist. I also found it took more like 15 minutes for the hermits to turn golden brown and set.

Buying a big can of pumpkin puree pretty much calls for a double batch! I haven't done that yet, but I will. I hope they will freeze well. Thanks Christina for the recipe.

No comments: