Monday, June 28, 2010

Lesson: Asher seems to sleep awesome at someone else's house and not so awesome in the car

Last week we took a 4-day road trip to visit my family in another province. Here's a little recap of our trip!

Greg and I took turns driving down. Turns out this was much better for my back than having to lean over and read and play with Asher in the car for the whole 6 hours.


Asher has never been a great long distance traveller, but he did make out okay in the car this time around. He DOES NOT sleep well in the car though. We got a 45-minute nap on the way down and a 35-minute nap on the way home. Look at this though, can you blame the boy?


We haven't let Asher watch too much TV thus far in his life, perhaps only as much as 30 minutes every week or two, and only for the past 5-6 months. We did borrow a portable DVD player from a friend for the trip though, and boy did that come in handy! Asher watched some of the Cars movie and a lot of a Thomas DVD we had rented, and he loved it!


Our visit was pretty low key. We got to spend time with family... (that's my dad, aka "Pops"!):


...play...

... and visit (both of my grandmother's, or "Great Nanny" as Asher calls them)


We also attended a little family gathering...

... in part to celebrate...


... my cousin who is getting married in Mexico in December!


Congratulations Paul and Aslida! Awww my favorite cousin Paul... I so wish I could be there for the real deal big day! Good luck, guys!

All in all, we ate too much junk food, and did a lot of nothing. It was nice to do that together and be with family though. I was really glad that Asher got to connect with my relatives and everyone seemed to love him to pieces (who wouldn't, really?) Crazy to think that the next trip down will be with 2 in tow. Wow!

4 comments:

mel said...

Thanks for the update, Mandi! It's fun to see your dad right down in the sand with Asher.

I thought about calling you on Saturday to meet me halfway for ice-cream. (^_^)

Mandi said...

Mel, I totally would have been game for meeting you half way for ice cream. Dude! We don't need to go to another province to meet for ice cream though - we can do that ANY time! :)

erin said...

so it's insane to me that your husband needs to setup the gps to get to CB...I think he just really wants to use it but you guys never go on any road trips...so you need to come to Virginia...how's that for logic???

glad you had a great visit!

Mandi said...

Erin - we don't need the GPS for that trip at all. I've done it hundreds of times in my life. My husband is just that much of a techie geek - he'd probably pull it out for a trip to the grocery store if I'd let him! I'm game for your Virginia logic... I don't need any convincing there! :)