Sunday, February 28, 2010

vacation read

Alright friends, I need your help with something, and it's very serious business indeed! In a little less than 4 weeks we will be on our Caribbean Cruise and I need a good book. A vacation isn't a vacation to me if I don't get some good reading and relaxing time in. Here's the deal though, I don't just want any old book, I want a good vacation book. This is a different category of book altogether, but unfortunately Chapters only highlights it in the summertime, so I'm relying on you for some input. Think you can help? Here's what I'm looking for...


The Perfect Vacation Book - would be engaging, but light hearted. I don't want the subject to be too intense or emotionally draining because the last thing I want is to be feeling really sad or mad or something or other when I'm supposed to be vacationing. But I don't want to read air either, and I don't want reading to feel like a chore. I want to want to read the book, you know? So it has to grab my attention, and keep it. But, at the same time, I don't want to be so engaged and committed to the book that I avoid doing other fun or necessary things (like sleep) because I want to read (I have a tendency for this to happen). It's so tough, trying to pick the right book.


I was looking over my bookshelves seeing if maybe there's something I could re-read, or to get some ideas for what I may want. This book, Born to Run, would have been perfect. Too bad I just finished it (thanks Mel, it rocked!)


Or Eat, Pray, Love also would have rocked -also read it only about a year ago.




And Life of Pi also would have been good, I think. It's been a few years, so maybe I could pick that up again?


I've been considering reading the Twilight Saga, The Kite Runner, or something by Jodi Picoult. I don't know though, are these too intense? It's hard to know when you haven't read them. Have any of you read these books or have any thoughts on it?


I'd love to hear your recommendations, if you have any. Even if it doesn't fit all my Perfect Vacation Book criteria, let me know if you've read something good lately that I should consider!

7 comments:

Erin said...

ha ha ha wow we are so different, and that's why this works so well :)

I will say this....I have watched Kite Runner the movie and it was SUCH A GOOD story...I loved it! However it is definitely intense at times so I don't think it fits your vacation criteria, but perhaps when you get back?

mel said...

Glad you enjoyed Born to Run as much as I hoped you would!

Erin's right, definitely pass on Kite Runner as a vacation read. Too intense.

Life of Pi is a really good re-read.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen might fit the bill. Although it is pretty engaging, it isn't too heavy. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

This one was fun -- Who Are You People?: A Personal Journey into the Heart of Fanatical Passion in America by Shari Caudron

Or what about Elizabeth Gilbert's new one, Committed?

Can't wait to hear what you choose!

Rachel said...

Are you looking for fiction or non-fiction?

Mandi said...

Alright girls x-nay on the Kite Runner for the vacation read. Got it. I was on the fence about it for that exact reason.

Mel - I'd totally love to check out Water for Elephants. Is that the one you pointed out to me at Chapter's last week? Maybe I can get it from you this week?

Rachel - I'm totally open to either ficton or non-fiction. Actually 2 of the 3 books I mentioned in my recent read section were non-fiction. Got a suggestion?

Danette said...

I say if you haven't been pulled into the twilight saga yet, vacation would be a good time to start it. Don't take all 4 with you as they may become a bit too consuming. I went to the cottage for a week and read 3 of them..but missed some fun as they were very hard to put down. I needed to read these to see what the fuss was all about. WATER FOR ELEPHANTS was great. Jodi P. almost always makes me cry.

mb said...

I'm not sure about these books...maybe you should read something by George Lopez. He was in free willy, wasn't he? NOT!!!!!

Mandi said...

Danette - wow, you read a lot girl! You'll be my new "I need a good book recommendation" go-to girl :) Thanks for the advice. Water for Elephants... the story line doesn't seem super interesting to me, but now that both you and Mel have recommended it, I may pick it up.

MB - :P