Monday, February 22, 2010

Prenatal visit #1

This blog is often just as much for my reflection and recollection as it is for your enjoyment. Sometimes it feels like my online baby book and general storage of life memories, and I often look back on older posts and think about times past. It's been a great outlet for me. So with that, I thought I should record my prenatal visits here too, so I can remember how this pregnancy felt and unfolded. Here's my first recap!


First 12 weeks

Generally felt extremely tired and had really tender breasts. I pretty much had to nap everyday with Asher (something I NEVER did) or else I was toast by 7PM. Nausea came in waves, and sometimes was overwhelming, but was mostly manageable. I never actually threw up once (it was the same with Asher). I haven't had many food cravings, but cheese whiz did pop it's head in there again (so gross). I found I felt nauseous if I drank a lot of water, so I turned more often to juices and teas. I did not want to drink coffee hardly at all - and usually I love my one cup a day! Pre-pregnancy weight (yip, I'm about to tell you this - yikes!) was 136 lbs. I did have the concern with the 2 days of bleeding, but everything was confirmed OK with the baby at the 8.5 week ultrasound when we saw that heartbeat and a bum wiggle!


Prenatal visit #1 - February 19

baby boo's heartbeat - 160 BPM
weight - 140 lbs (up 4 lbs already - uh oh!)
blood pressure - perfect

- Doctor said it was safe for me to try running again, just go slow.
- If I have any bleeding again, call her right away, and stop running
- 30% of pregnancies have bleeding in their first trimester (what?!?!)
- Doctor found the heartbeat no problem, even though this doesn't always happen at the 12 week appointment
- Now that I'm at 12 weeks and we have a good strong heartbeat, there is less than 1% chance of miscarriage (yippee!)
- Due date based on my last period is September 2, 2010
- Due date based on my ultrasound at 8.5 weeks is September 5, 2010
- We go with September 2, 2010 as the due date since there is less than 1 week difference between the one based on my last period and the one based on my ultrasound
- I have to go for a hunk of blood work next week and then again in 3 weeks time
- I see the doctor again in 4 weeks, just before we leave for our cruise!
- Doctor confirmed that it was OK for me to get the Hepatitis A and B vaccines for our cruise
- Doctor also confirmed that I am expected to eat as much ice cream as I want this summer
- Just joking about that last one :)


And finally, here we are, me and baby boo, at 12 weeks!


I would like to add that, even though I have a little bit of a belly going on there, I am surprisingly not in maternity clothes yet. Score. Take that you 4 lbs!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh this is so fun...I'm glad you're posting this...dude I think I have a minor obsession with you :) ha ha ha

You TOTALLY have a cute little baby bump. Can't wait to see it in person....12 more days!!!

What a difference there will be between March and June (when I see you again), you'll be like a whole new person :)

So are you going to start running again?

mel said...

Yay! The first baby bump picture! So cute.

Totally you're not in maternity clothes yet. I haven't even noticed the bump so far.

Listen: running. Me. You. I should be able to keep up just fine with you if you're preggers, eh? (I hope.)

Nikki said...

You look amazing! Congrats! I've been thinking you would have another soon. I guess I was right!

Mandi said...

Erin - I can only imagine the damage that will happen from March to June. Oh dear! I'll be sure to post pictures on the blog just for you.

And I did run for the first time last night, just for 20 minutes. Thought I'd start of super easy since it's been so long. I'm hoping I haven't lost my touch!

Mel - You. Me. Running. Let's do it! I'm super slow and not going long distances right now, but if that sounds like a deal to you, I'm in. When?

Nikki - Thanks! Asher's at that age where I guess people are starting to expect another one. We're so glad!