Monday, January 18, 2010

Will you answer?

I have a few questions that repeatedly run through my mind that I've been dying to ask you for ages now. In fact, if you see me regularly enough in real life, I may have snuck in one of these questions at some point. The thing is, I just don't know the answer, and I wondered what other people did. I have no idea if my answers to these questions are way off target, or not, so if you dare answer, I would LOVE to know! I'm going to risk it and give you my answers, so be brave, friends, there's no judgement here!


1. How often do you wash your hair? My hair dresser keeps telling me to only wash it every other day, or even every 3rd day, if I can. I try, oh do I try, but I just feel so greasy and gross when I don't wash it every day. (not that one would be greasy and gross if they didn't wash it every day, I just feel that way) I keep thinking that eventually it'll feel normal and I'll get over it, but I haven't been consistent enough yet to make that happen. But whether I wash my hair or not, I just HAVE to shower every day. I can't help it! Do you?


2. How often do you change your bed sheets? Maybe this question depends on how much "activity" is happening, or how much you sweat at night, but I just don't know what's normal. If I'm honest, I probably only change them every 6-8 weeks, but I've heard some people that do it every week, or every other week. That's a lot of laundry, I think. What do you do?


3. How often do you really clean your floors? I mean sweep and mop and scrub and the whole deal? Seriously, it takes so much effort, but I really want clean floors, and I hate dust bunnies! I find I sweep every day or two, just the high traffic areas, and have especially needed to do this after Mr. Asher came along, but really clean? What's considered an appropriate amount of time to not border on gross or border on excessive? I just don't know the answer. I'm sure kids/pets, etc. factor into this as well. I probably really give them a good clean every 2-3 weeks. Maybe. Depending on what's going on.


4. How much do you spend on groceries? Being vegetarian, people tend to think that my grocery bill will be cheaper, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I am bad for wasting food, but I'm really trying to get better at this. (Really trying!!) And I do like to buy organic and natural products when I can, but given that, I'd say I still spend about $150 a week on groceries. Is that crazy? What do you spend?


5. How often do you really floss your teeth? Honestly, every day? Do people do that? I know we're supposed to, but I just can't get it done. I brush 3-4 times a day, but I go through phases with flossing. Sometimes I'm pretty consistent at getting 2-3 times in a week, and other times I'll go months without flossing. So terrible, I know.


6. I need your input in figuring out what pretend vegetable this is supposed to be that's in Asher's little pretend food set.

Here's the tomato, I'm sure of it:

And I think this is the red pepper, but it could also be an apple. What do you think? Apple? Red pepper?

What in the heck is this? Another kind of tomato? A pepper? What vegetable has a square stem on it like that?


I really look forward to your answers, so I hope you risk it and let me know. Even if you don't answer them all, atleast give me the pretend vegetable guess. Greg and I just can't seem to figure that one out.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

1. Every day, I feel greasy and gross when I don't.
2. Once a week (once every two in the winter)
3. I sweep daily cause Ian finds every speck but I only mop once a week (except under Ian's high chair, that seems to be daily lately)
4. We spend about $150 - $200 on groceries every two weeks.
5. I usually floss every two or four days. When I do it once a day, it feels like nails on a chalkboard.
6. Just a guess but tomato, apple maybe cherry (how big is it compared to the other stuff), red pepper.

Erin said...

ha ha ha this was a FUN post to read...now honesty huh? Alrighty..

1. I agree I have to wash it everyday...the few times I don't in the year it's because I'm sick and not going anywhere...other than that if I'm going out I'm showering and washing my hair.

2. Okay we have talked about this before...dude I know you said no judgiing but really? Every 6-8 weeks? I'm a weekly girl...yes it's a lot of laundry but there are gross microscopic things that grow in beds that make it worth it to me. I don't know, I also don't have a kid that I need to do laundry for...although Jason produces a lot of laundry, especially in golf season. Anyways, definitely weekly maybe once every 2 weeks if I'm having a busy time.

3. THis I'm guilty for. I should do it more, especially with those three animals of mine (4 if you include Jason ha ha). I would (say would because there's no way my rigid schedule is being kept up at this moment in time, Jason's enjoying the lack of cleaning right now I'm sure) sweep/vaccuum weekly or every other week...scrubbing only happens once a month unless some unknown animal substance appears and then they get a good spot scrub down. I will say though that our puppy makes me clean more with the messes he enjoys making.

4. Groceries we spend about $100 a week, we only do organic meats so I say you're right on target. Oh and groceries for me includes cat/dog food and cat litter which adds up believe it or not. Glad to hear you're trying to watch the food waste. Hey how's that pomegranate doing? ha ha ha

5. Now my gross one...I do really well with this in the beginning of the year, like first couple of months (because it usually ends up being my news years resolution), but then it falls off my radar for the rest of the year. I know gross huh? I think I will continue this trend until the dentist/hygenist tells me to smarten up. However, while i'm still getting great reports I will continue to be a slacker.

6. As for the mysterious vegetable/fruit: I'm going with the first one is a tomato. Number 2 I would say is an apple and number 3 is a pepper. Reason being peppers do have square-ish tops on them with their long stems.

Can't wait to hear what the rest of you admit to :)

Angela said...

1) I wash my hair every 2 days, but by the end of the 2nd day its horrible, even though this is what I have done for years, it hasn't gotten better, so good luck with that one!
2) Probably once per month!
3) I sweep every 2 days, I vaccume once per week (kitchen floor) and swiffer every 2 weeks.. REALLY clean?? Probably every 2 months!!
4) From $500-$800 a month!
5) I floss maybe every 2-4 days on a regular basis, but as I get closer to "dentist time" I floss daily!
6) I would say another Tomato??

Greg (papa) said...

I'm sucked in to answering only cause of the last one:
1.everyday
2.it just seems to take care of itself!
3.it too just seems to take care of itself!
4.it's usually directly equivalent to the weight of the wet garbage I take to curb each week.
5.never, until this year when I realized that not doing so just means a longer cleaning visit at the dentist each year, gonna start once every few days this year.
6.its an apple!, it has the humps at the top and it has four green leaves, you can see the center stem of each leaf with the veins curving out to the edges. They have to glue the leaves right to the apple or it would be thin pieces that could break off and be swallowed by someone, thus it creates a square.

mel said...

Oh man, I can't believe I'm about to out myself as the laissez-faire person I actually am! Hopefully it gives at least one person a little bit of freedom. (^_^) I will say up front that I actually don't think that the current mania for hyper-cleanliness is such a great thing for our immune systems or emotional health, but that's a whole other story.

1) I wash my hair twice a week-ish, so about every three days. And I shower about the same unless it's sweaty summer weather or I've been really working out. I'm of the opinion that the current/Western mania for bathing isn't actually all that great for us.

2) My preference now that I have a family is every three weeks -- as in, change our sheets one week, Malcolm's the next, Maren's the next, and back to the start. It does not get done this often when I am not the person in charge of laundry, and I prefer not to count so that I don't get as grossed out. (Although sometimes I pull the sheets off the beds and throw them in the laundry anyway ... but we only have a couple sheet sets, so it can backfire easily.)

3. We sweep every day (where the heck does all the dirt come from!?!?) and prefer to vacuum every two days (upstairs one day, downstairs the next). Vacuuming happens less often when I'm in school ... but it doesn't get past a week. A good washing is much less often, although spot cleaning happens in the intervening time

4. Groceries are $100 to $150 a week, depending on how well we've planned and how much money we have to work with.

5. Flossing, not so consistent. After I eat popcorn, definitely. (^_^) After I see the dentist, daily. (^_^) Most of the time, once a month I might remember and get it done. Oops.

6. I'm going with a tomato / apple / red pepper sequence.

There you go. Obviously, I'm from the what-doesn't-kill-ya-makes-ya-stronger school of housekeeping. I hope we can still be friends. Although I have to admit I thought you were a little more neurotic about cleaning than you've admitted to here! Erin and Rachel, on the other hand, are in line with what I expected. Maybe I should be begging them for acceptance. (^_^)

Jenn said...

(Interesting blog Mandi- Thanks for asking, and sharing, and asking us to share too!)
1) Shower every day for sure; hair- usually every other day (major frizz issues if I wash it every day!)
2) Sheets- every week or two.
3) Sweep- daily or every second day; spot mop- twice a week; full mop- once every two or three weeks; hand scrub- we just won't go there!
4)Groceries- about $100-$150 weekly (this includes personal items, cleaners, baby stuff, etc.)
5)Floss- a couple to a few times a week, depending. Every day for the three weeks before a dentist appointment, and I still get crap for it!
6)Food guesses: tomato, apple (or cherry if it is small), and pepper (it is lumpy and square on top).

Andrea said...

1. i only wash my hair every second day...i used to be an every day kind of gal but once rachel came along it just didn't happen and with 2 there was just no way it could happen but now that they are older it's much easier to get a shower in!
2. i wish i could say that i change them every week or two (that's what my mom did) and i'm starting to do this but really it's probably about 4 weeks
3. well i like to scrub the girls floors and baseboards once a week but the rest of it doesn't always get a good scrubbing so i'd say every week to two weeks (i have gross messy girls!!)i find i have to sweep every day or two especially since we have a dirt driveway.
4. well i'm cheap and i've been playing a game with myself since i got married on how little can i spend on groceries per week...so i'd say on average about $80 week but some weeks are more like $120
5. I floss every day. i've got crappy teeth!
6. i would say tomato, definately a red pepper (due to the green stem) and the last one well..not a clue...it doesn't look like an apple shape but the green things on top could be the leaves?? okay i change my mind after looking at it again..is the second one smaller (in the pic it looks smaller) i say the second one is a cherry and the third is a red pepper!

a said...

i should mention also that groceries are a bit cheaper here in Ontario (only about $3 for milk)...i do have pretty well all organic meat but it's fresh from the farmers since we are in a farming town i also cloth diaper most of the time so not spending an extra $30 for diapers which also lowers my bill!

Debie said...

I haven't had time to answer...but, I keep telling myself that I will. "I'll be back."