Thursday, October 8, 2009

Apple Butter


Apple Butter

10-12 crisp apples, peeled, cored and quartered

1 cup + 2 TBSP brown sugar

1/2-3/4 cup apple juice

1 tsp cinnamon

dash of ground cloves and nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Put all ingredients in a medium pot and cook on medium heat until the apples are soft and break down.

2. Let simmer for 45 minutes (I had to add a bit more apple juice here as I found it was drying up quite a bit).

3. Puree


Holy yum! I received a new recipe for Apple Butter from a mom-friend of mine last night at a recipe swap, and I couldn't wait to make a batch today. It's fabulous!

We have lots of apples around from our recent apple orchard visit, and it was fun to get to use them in this different way. For those of you who don't know, apple butter is used like a jam would be. I especially like it on bagels with cream cheese. Delicious!

Apple butter: a new reason to love autumn!

4 comments:

Erin said...

I'm jealous! Sounds really yummy....

mel said...

Thanks for passing on the recipe. I tried making apple butter in the slow cooker once and it did not turn out well. I'm excited to try this version!

Debie said...

How long does it last? This seems great!!

Mandi said...

Erin - I'm sure I'll still have some once you're home next week. Maybe I could bring some to you!

Mel - I think slow cooker recipes are popular for apple butter. This one was so easy and so yummy though, so it's a keeper for me!

Debie - I don't know how long it lasts. Good question. I know nothing about preserves, but I don't think this has anything in it that would preserve it. I'll let you know how long mine lasts (if it stays around long enough... we've been gobbling it up!)