Friday, April 24, 2009

My belated Earth Day resolution

I've known for a while about how damaging the use of plastic bags are on our world. This slide show really opened my eyes to it about a year ago; you should check it out:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3482299/The-Dangers-of-Plastic-Bags

Our family has been using re-usable bags for our groceries for quite some time now. I rarely forget these, and actually like them a lot better than plastic. I have also on and off committed to bringing my re-usable bags shopping to other stores and the mall, but I haven't always remembered.

I also watched the Earth Day special on Oprah this week and it dawned on me that, although I've really reduced our use of plastic shopping bags, I still use the resealable plastic baggies for little things all the time. I just checked my fridge and cupboards, and I have about 7 on the go this very moment. I hadn't originally thought of this as part of the plastic bag problem until the Oprah show this week (see friends, Oprah can do good in my life!). I could easily use reusable containers or mason jars instead of the plastic bags I'm using, or at minimum, wash and re-use my plastic baggies, which I rarely do.

Then I also started thinking about my use of plastic wrap (i.e. saran wrap), and my use of the little plastic baggies at the grocery store that I put my fresh produce in. I'm not sure I've really thought of a solution to all of this yet, but I really want to be more diligent this year about using less and less plastic. Do any of you have helpful ideas on reducing the use of these items?

So here's my practical and belated Earth Day resolution:

- to put a re-usable bag in my purse to use when I'm out shopping at stores and the mall

- to try to have a plastic-free day in our life atleast once a week (maybe this will be easy, maybe hard; I'll let you know!)

- to use more re-usable containers instead of plastic baggies and saran wrap

- to be more and more diligent about the negative impact of how I live can effect the world


PS - I'm dying to see the new Earth movie that came out this Earth Day. I know I'm going to cry at the Polar Bears, I just know it! They have a special place in my heart. Has anyone seen it yet?

3 comments:

mel said...

The small mesh bags for washing delicates (or draining tub toys) work great for produce!

Angela Lawson said...

Just in case anyone needs any reusable bags, Superstore has theirs on half price this wee

Andrea said...

You must have been reading my thoughts lately...I've been thinking a lot about the baggy thing too lately. I usually use 1 for andrews sandwich, one for crackers or a treat, and one for some fruit...i end up using at least 3 bags in his lunch EVERY day!! that's crazy! I hate the thought of more gladware or tupperware type things in my cupboard. I do have some great ones though that stack in a little thing that turns..they are 3 sizes and one sized lid that fits all sizes!! Instead of saran wrap or a bag for cheese i usually take the elastic from the broccoli and fold over the plastic it comes in.

Are you still doing cloth diapering??