Monday, October 27, 2008

Monday's observations

*The mysterious bruises that I've been noticing on my thighs the last few weeks are exactly where Asher's heels land when I'm holding him. Interesting.

* Just because I cry a little when my son starts solid food, doesn't mean I'm going to be a crazy mom, right? I mean, right?

* It is really sucky to have to hold your son to stop him from crying his head off and push his stroller at the same time. This is especially sucky when you are on an hour long walk with a bunch of other moms and babies and the wind is blowing against you and the car is another 20 minutes away. It is moments like this that I really wish Asher took a soother.

* Speaking of other moms, I think it's so cool how motherhood brings women together, no matter what their background. This week alone I was hanging out with doctors, lawyers, stay-at-home moms, call center workers, folks in sales and a fork-lift operator. Such an awesome reminder that even though we are all so different, we are all so the same. When it comes to mothering, the struggles and triumphs are the same and I love sharing in that with other women.

* Maybe 28 isn't going to be such a great year after all... I bought Preparation H hemorrhoid cream for the first time (sorry if you didn't want to know that... I really wish I didn't know about it either).

* Coming home and eating chips after going to the gym sort of defeats the purpose, don't you think?

*You can learn a lot about people and the world by talking to a bunch of 5 and 6 year-olds at the local park as they push your son on the swing (gently push, of course). Like, for example, did you know that this one show on TV said that dinosaurs didn't become extinct, they just turned into birds instead? You don't even want to know what I learned about the local teachers and neighbors (note to self: really watch what you say in front of your kids if you don't want it to be repeated to total strangers at the park).

* You can pretty much convince your husband of anything if you just keep randomly saying it, especially if it's stuff he doesn't want to do (which, for my husband, is travel). There's a method though, a technique if you will. You start out by saying rather casually, "Hey the year we turn 30 (which, for the record, is still 2 years away) we should go on a big trip, wouldn't that be nice?" And then the next time you say it with a little more certainty, as if it's actually going to happen. And then you just keep gradually upping the certainty of the thing, and sometimes bring up the topic when your husband isn't really listening, and then before you know it you're saying "So you know that trip we're taking when we turn 30, what about Hawaii?" And then because the topic has been brought up so much, your husband can't really remember all the details, and he doesn't want to seem like a bad husband and admit he wasn't actually listening to you each and every time, and he pretty much has to go along with it. I just about have the tickets bought now for said trip. It's great and I'm totally sure Greg hasn't caught on at all :)

* You can really spend a lot of money at Pier 1 Imports on 2 decorative pillows without even trying. Of course I do not know this from experience, at all. I'm just completely guessing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

um so what happened to the Alaskian cruise??? Oh dear does this mean we've been bumped :)

I enjoy your observations friend!

Anonymous said...

I really gotta stop what I'm doing on the computer when my wife is telling me something...I think I see some serious consequences beginning to emerge.
Even some record keeping notes to the Blackberry wouldn't be a bad idea to identify patterns.

Anonymous said...

lol, I am going to have to try this strategy you have to get what you want.. does it work on all of the Lawson men?

Mandi said...

Erin - of course you didn't get bumped... I just thought you guys were going BACK to Disney for sure! :P

Greg - I thought you hardly read this anymore? Opps!

Ange - let me know how you make out with this technique! :)