Wednesday, July 9, 2008

the birth house

I really like to read. I always have. My mother would tell you stories about how when I was younger, she would come check in on me before she went to bed at night, and I'd be hiding under my covers with a flashlight reading. I've always enjoyed getting lost in a story, being captivated by people, experiences and events that are so foreign to me. Or even ones that are familiar, but challenge my perspective. I love a good author, who has the ability to bring meaning to life from the mere use of words. I love the look of books, the feel of them in my hand, the sound of pages turning.

I know, I'm a geek.

It gets worse. I also belong to a book club!

AND, now that I have a blog of my own, I can fulfill my childhood dream of being like the kids on Reading Rainbow who give book reviews. Except this isn't Reading Rainbow, but that's okay. I'm going to do book reviews anyways! :)

I just finished reading this book, the birth house by Ami McKay. I give it a solid 4/5. It's a story about a young mid-wife, as you can gather from the title, and it's set in rural Nova Scotia during the first World War. I loved the story, the sisterhood of women that the author weaves together, the challenges of childbirth and womanhood, of love and life. The book had me scared, and elated, and worried, and crying, and joyful as the story unfolded. I love the scrapbook element included in the book; it felt like a piece of the story I could actually touch and made it seem so real. You should totally check it out!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I've got the Reading Rainbow theme song in my head...thanks :) As someone who cannot stand reading anything other than cooking magazines and cookbooks (now there's a geek for you), I admire your passion. Glad you have found something that brings ytou such much joy and relaxation. Have fun escaping :)

Anonymous said...

...you know honey it wouldn't be a bad idea to start using a flashlight under the covers when you read in bed at nights...I mean it might help me get to sleep faster without the lights on and it would maybe dampen hearing "...the sound of pages turning" too. I could see this working well.

Mandi said...

Erin - thanks for your encouragment. I had that song in my head all day too!

Greg - we could try that. It would HAVE to be LED though, right! :)

Mitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Book geeks UNITE!

Mandi said...

Amen, friend, amen! :)

Nikki said...

I'm the EXACT same way (and was as a child too!)! I just finished this book last night, and I loved it too!! Especially since I aspire to be a doula and have a homebirth with a midwife when I get pregnant!

Mandi said...

Hey Nikki, or should I say fellow book nerd! :) I can see how you would have loved this book if midwifery is an interest and passion of yours. Cool goal for yourself!