Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Asher's split lip edition

Tuesday when we were at the library, Asher fell and cut his lip up pretty bad.  He was quite upset and it was a bit of a drama scene.  It was a very stressful evening for our family, especially because Asher wouldn't drink or eat anything for the rest of the day, and for some of the morning after.  In times like these - when things aren't going the way I'd like - I find it's super important for me to remember the blessings amidst the chaos.  I'm counting my blessings, because there are many.

... the librarians who were so helpful to me.  I had about 3 or 4 of them running around, getting first aid kids, napkins to catch blood, entertaining Levi, calling my husband; the situation was definitely aided by their help.  I'm so thankful for the support of complete strangers in times of need like this.

... the fact that my husband was only a floor away and came down running as soon as the librarian called him.

... the wonderful nurse and doctor at the ER who didn't mind Asher's drama and took us in right away to be seen.  Thankfully we were in and out in 10 minutes once the doctor saw Asher's lip and said didn't need a stitch.

... Word World, Asher's new favorite show.  It's super educational and also really helps to lift his spirits and distract him in moments of need.

... that Asher slept through the night despite not eating or drinking for the better part of that day (the "incident" happened at around 3:30 in the afternoon).

... that my mom still lets me whine and cry when I'm feeling overwhelmed, even when the situation is not really that bad.  Even though I'm a big girl, I still want to talk to my mom when I'm upset.

... straws.  It's the only way that I could get Asher to finally drink yesterday.

... Greg's perspective.  I was feeling really shaken up and overwhelmed and Greg was so gracious about reminding me that in the big picture, Asher's ok, and we are ok.  And it's true - a cut lip is nothing!

... the amazing ability our bodies have to heal our wounds.  Asher's lip yesterday morning was looking tons better than it had the night before, and it just continues to improve.

... that I have the flexibility to take all the time needed to nurse Asher's wound, and his spirit, and to help him develop some coping mechanisms.  So glad I am home with him.


Here are some pictures of Asher's lip from yesterday morning, about 18 hours after he split it.


 

My boy is healthy, and it could have been a lot worse.  What more could I ask for?

No comments: