Thursday, November 24, 2011

I need your help...

So I need a new winter jacket this year as my old one was bought post-pregnancy and is quite big on me now.  Too big really.  I only have $80 to work with and right now at Old Navy all their jacket's are 50% off.  Score!  I went today and chose 2 that I liked and now I can't decide which one to keep.  Will you help me??


Jacket #1:






Pros:
I like that it zippers up for easy on and off, plus it has the toggle closure's that I could do up if I wanted to.
I like that it has a hood.
I like the pattern and colors (blue, black, and grey plaid).
I like the length.

Cons:
Because of the shape of the coat, I think I look really big in it.


Jacket #2:



Pros:
I like the simplicity of the color, so I can pretty it up with a fun scarf or mittens.
I think it's more classic since it's just black, and maybe I wouldn't always look like a stay at home mom in it.
I find it slimming.

Cons:
I'm not 100% crazy about the button closures.
No hood.
It's longer than any winter coat I've had before.  Not sure how I feel about that.


I would wear this jacket as an every day sort of jacket, whether that be going to the grocery store, or going to a play date.  I wouldn't wear it for playing outside in the snow with the boys; have something different for that.

What do you think?  Do you think one is more flattering or functional over the other?  Or do you think neither works and I should hold out for some after Christmas sales and see if I can get something different that fits my price range?  It is difficult to find something nice and warm for that price I'm finding.

So torn!

9 comments:

Aunt Ange said...

Jacket #2~

Rachel said...

I like the first one.

AIM said...

I agree, the first one makes you look bigger than you are. You look great, friend! Show it off! I do like the 2nd one ... but if you're not sure I would have to ask, "Are these the only options?" I know they're a great deal, but if they aren't exactly what you want, why settle?

Greg (papa) said...

Which one is the cheapest, adjusts to all future size needs and automatically changes colors to match whatever color your winter boats are this season?

Jessica said...

I like jacket #1!!

Erin said...

Alrighty you asked for my help and you know I'll be honest. I say neither. Let's go jacket shopping after Christmas and find just what you're looking for!!!! The first one seems much more practical for what you want, but does make you look too big. The second is nice but not functional for all the fun times with the boys and you can't wear a black coat with brown mandi :) can you hold out another 4 weeks with the post preggers coat???? Did you check Costco?

Mandi said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. I really needed some outside perspectives!! After sleeping on it, I think I am not 100% happy with either coat, but I'm going to hold onto them for a bit while I keep looking for something else.
Greg - if only I could buy a coat that did that, and also changed styles to boot!
Erin - brown Mandi bought black winter boots this year. Time for a change! And if I don't have something by the time you're home, we will certainly do some shopping together.

Danette said...

I agree with Erin, but I fear that by the time the Christmas shoppers have at the racks you will be hard pressed to find anything you like. Very good idea to keep them a couple of weeks if Old Navy will let you until you see if there is anything else out there better. I bought mine at Old Navy last year and am very pleased with the wear factor and warmth. It is similar to your first choice but a bit less bell shaped in a brown with orange trim. They are surprising cozy and the zipper closure is a bonus for busy, hanging onto two kids, trying to leave in a hurry sort of days (or arthritic hands). I would check Costco, our had some beautiful wool jackets over the past couple of weeks.

MB said...

MB says neither coat. #1 isn't right and #2 isn't practical. You will end up hating both.