Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Asher is sick.  He has had a cough and runny nose for a few days now, and fever just started yesterday.  We went to the clinic and the doctor says his ears and lungs are clear, but his throat is red.  He swabbed his throat for Strep Throat, but thinks it's likely just a viral thing that needs to run it's course.

To control the fever we are dosing him with Tylenol and Advil.  He hates taking the liquid form of these medicines and often times gets so upset about it that he vomits.  Last night he threw up all over me.  Literally.

However, it's times like these that I need to be super diligent about remaining thankful.  And so for today I am thankful for...

... my husband's support.  Having another person to help clean up vomit, fetch water, come to doctor's appointments, and get up in the middle of the night with you makes the burden so much more bearable.

... my mother.  Even though I'm 30, I often want to call my mom when some one's sick and hear her tell me it's going to be alright.

... that my children are in relatively good health.  Times like these are stressful on our family and I'm so thankful that all we've had to deal with is colds and flu's.  I would take this any day over something more serious.  I remind myself of this often in these moments.

... cuddling with Asher.  When he's sick, he wants his Mama, too.  Over the past 24 hours I've had plenty of cuddle moments, and I'm so thankful that he finds comfort in my presence.

... accessible health care.  Being able to get in to see a doctor within a matter of hours of his fever starting, and hearing that his lungs and ears are clear from infection is a blessing.

... pharmacists who consult over the phone.  We're going to try chewable Tylenol and Advil, as per his advice.  I thought we'd try this before going to suppository versions of those meds.  Wish us luck!

... that, so far, Levi and the rest of us are free and clear of any of Asher's symptoms.  Let's hope it stays that way!

3 comments:

Danette said...

I sympathize with you on the liquid med situation. Brea was a terrible medicine taker...she would get so worked up before even trying it that she usually ended up throwing up as well. We switched to chewables but before she would chew them I would let her eat a small freezie or part of a frozen fruit pop. Even though the chewables were easier they still tasted pretty nasty and the slightly frozen mouth would usually make the medicine go down a bit easier. She started to take some control of the situation pretty quickly and would eat half of whatever she chose...chew chew chew really quickly then stick the pop back in her mouth to wash it all down with.

Rachel said...

I'm sorry that Asher's sick. I hope he's better soon and that none of you catch it!

erin said...

poor little dude! I'm sick right now too, so I know how he feels. Reading all your wonderful motherly ways makes me want to get a plane ticket to come up there so you can look after me too. Can I curl up in your lap too? Too far? ha ha ha Praying for strength and protection over the rest of you guys!