Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thankful Thursday

In the past few months I've had to say way too many good-bye's for my liking.  One to my pastor/mentor (and his family) who baptized me, married us, and led our children's dedication service.  Another to a close friend not returning home after studying afar.  And most recently to the family of the 2 children I've taken care of - close friends to myself and especially to Asher.  I hate saying good-bye and the past couple of days have been teary to say the least.

Life comes with loss.  It sucks and I don't like it, but it is a part of life.  In the midst of such times, I know it is extra important for me to recognize the blessings in my life.  Some of them as a result of these situations are...

I now have friends scattered throughout North America.  Hopefully this will mean plenty of visits with free places to stay :)

I had the chance to form close relationships with these people, and my life is forever changed because of our connection.  Isn't that a saying; it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.  Amen.

I have many, many happy and fun memories to look back and smile on.  Sometimes a simple song or drive to a certain place can trigger these memories, and that gives me many reasons to be joyful.  Those memories I will cherish forever.

I got to have some really meaningful conversations and experiences with Asher about dealing with loss and sadness when friends leave.  The boy has seen me cry many times as of late, and I think this has been a good thing because it has allowed us to open up and talk about these issues in an honest way.  I want Asher (and Levi) to see and know that sad feelings (just like all feelings) are OK and that it's important to show those feelings and deal with them.  I have definitely been modelling that!

I have space in my life for new friendships and relationships to form or existing ones to go deeper.  Not that anyone could ever replace the people who have left, but their leaving doesn't mean I won't have meaningful relationships either.

I have a deeper sense of love and appreciation for those friends who I still get to see regularly. If you're one of those people, don't be surprised if you get a teary hug from me in the near future :)


Now on to figuring out Skype for once and for all because there is NO WAY I'm going to lose touch with these dudes!
xo

1 comment:

erin said...

awww I wasn't expecting this! My life is forever changed because of our friendship as well...loads of love to you friend and I definitely do not want to lose touch either!!! So thankful for you...