Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thankful Thursday - post-baby body edition

I've been struggling a bit lately with my post-baby body. I find it's harder to lose the weight this time around, and it's certainly not coming off as fast as I would like. In a culture imploding with messages about having a slim figure, it's hard to not thing about it too much.

This week I happened across a website that someone had linked on their facebook page about this topic. I was really touched by this poem in particular:


Antithesis

I am large in my skin
I make no apology
This belly grew three babies
Why should it be flat?
It curves with the memory of the womb.
These breasts fed three babies
Why should they be pert?
They swell with the memory of milk.
These hips carried three children
Why should they be slim?
They are full with the memory of life.
My bones are secret under flesh
My skin plump and white and fine
Mine is the face of Botticelli
Mine is the water of the Nile
Mine is the shape of things forbidden
Daughter of Gaia, grown beautiful and wild.

~Lorri Barrier

Although I don't fully related to every aspect the writer describes, I am thankful that there are other women out there who struggle with loving their post-baby bodies. This poem is a good reminder for me to celebrate and love what my body did by growing, birthing, and feeding 2 beautiful boys, and for that I am thankful.

2 comments:

mel said...

Absolutely, friend. I am glad that you found these words of affirmation for the way your body has served you and your babies well.

I recently encountered this amazing quote and I think it has something to say to mamas:
"You need only claim the events of your life to make yourself yours. When you truly possess all you have been and done ... you are fierce with reality." - Florida Scott-Maxwell

Andrea Cook said...

wow..i so understand the struggle. i'm not loving my post pregnancy shape. I found it much harder after 2 and it's even harder after 3 this time around!! i LOVE the parts of that poem where she talks about the 'memory' of the womb, of milk and of life. I know i should rejoice that God used my body to create three little girls but it's still hard. Thanks for sharing mandi