Friday, January 14, 2011

Asher's first day at preschool

UPDATE:

The report is in: Asher did GREAT at his first day of preschool! His teachers said he was really social, remembered people's names, followed the routine, and didn't cry or show any aggression. He didn't want to wash his hands and said "I'll do that at home" but Roxy was able to get him to by saying "Let's go make bubbles with our hands!". He sat through circle time and was interested in the songs, but he did not eat any snack, saying "My apples and my oranges will stay right there". When the class did a new activity, writing with colored water through squirt bottles on snow, Asher was slow to warm up and just watched, but he did eventually join in and then had fun. There was also one boy in particular he enjoyed playing with. When I went to pick him up, he was working on a jigsaw puzzle with one of the teachers, and didn't want to come home.

Once we got home, Asher was having some trouble listening and being gentle. Shortly after coming home, he climbed up on my lap, sucked his thumb, and asked me to rock him. And a few minutes after that he said "I miss Papa". I wondered if this was just his way of saying, through his behaviors, that today was a bit of an adjustment for him and he still needs his Mama, atleast a tiny bit. (Or maybe I just need to believe that!)


************************************************************************************

We've been talking to Asher for a few weeks now about going to "Roxy's school" as we call it, and we've been reading "Llama Llama Misses Mama" every night (a book about Llama going to school). Last night, like every night, we prayed with Asher and my prayer was that Asher would have fun at Roxy's school today. Asher's prayer was "Thank you God for Roxy".

Well this morning came and I couldn't have imagined a happier boy to be left at Roxy's school. He walked in the door and immediately went for a bulldozer and wanted to play. He saw his friend Marek and got even more excited. When it was time for me to leave I said "Asher, Mama's leaving, come say good-bye" and he responded with, "No, I don't want to come say bye, Mama". I don't even think he looked up from his play when I did walk out the door. He did atleast casually say "Bye, Mama", I think more for my benefit than for his.

Is it supposed to be easier or harder when your kid isn't sad about you leaving him for the first time with strangers? I didn't expect this reaction from Asher, but I'm glad that he is glad.

Here's some photos of our morning...






Have fun today, my sweet boy! I hope you laugh, learn, explore, grow, meet new friends, and have fun. I am so proud of you and I still can't even believe you are big enough to go to preschool. I miss you already and I can't wait to hear all about your big day! I know you'll do great.

4 comments:

Debie said...

I think it's a sign of great parenting. :o) ...and, a great personality.

They are secure with themselves, and know that they can trust the world around them, and trust you that you are making great choices for them. Plus, you prepped him really well. And, must have picked a great preschool, too.

Too many adult concepts attributed to a kid? Maybe. :o)

I think that you guys are great. I've always struggled with milestones more than my guys have. And, I realize that, and thank God that he is with them even when I am not. Yay!

(Disclaimer: I am not judging kids who do cry.)

mel said...

Hooray! So glad that Asher had such a great start to what I am sure will be a great experience for him.

(And a hearty "hear hear!" to everything Deb said.)

Greg (papa) said...

*gulp*, I need a moment....
Ok I'm good.
Did you ask him if he met any girls today? :)

Erin said...

awwww I totally just got choked up reading this! So exciting...I love that he wanted you to rock him after. Hang in there mama, you got this :)