Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thankful Thursday - my dad edition

I have a big reason to be thankful this week. A big one.

I haven't been very vocal with many people in my life about my dad being sick, mostly because I thought it was his story to tell and it didn't feel it very hopeful to talk about. Oh, and I'm a world class avoider sometimes! Close to 2 years ago now, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer, which quickly spread to his lymph nodes and adrenal gland. The prognosis for this stage 3A cancer wasn't good since the cancer had found it's way to other parts of his body. When he was first diagnosed, the oncologist said he would have a 30% chance of being alive in 5 years.

My dad has gone through numerous rounds of chemotherapy now, his cancer being treated aggressively since he's so young (he just turned 50 in September). He has been sick and has had many, many reasons to be miserable. Throughout all of this, however, he has remained strong in his faith, and has been one of the most hopeful and positive people I have ever known. It's quite incredible, and encouraging, to talk to someone with such a dreary set of circumstances who is so optimistic, faithful, and hope-filled. As you can see from this picture, this is a trait my dad clearly exhibits!


So the good news this week is that after his most recent round of chemotherapy, his CT scan showed that his cancer in all 3 parts of his body has shrunk by 50%! It's quite incredible! The oncologist said that this type of chemotherapy that my dad just took (he's gone through all the stronger ones already) only had about a 1% chance of doing anything to his cancer. The fact that it shrunk it by 50% in all 3 spots in his body is more than anyone could have even dreamed of. We are all so thankful and happy to hear this news! Way to go, dad!

He's off to start another round of that same chemotherapy in hopes of continued good outcomes. This is truly the best Christmas gift we all could have received. Thank you Jesus!

6 comments:

AIM said...

This is SUCH AWESOME NEWS!!!!! Never underestimate the power of positive thinking ... and prayer! xo!!!

Jenn said...

This is incredible news about your dad! Thanks for sharing. Glad that your trip went well too:).

Rachel said...

Yay! That's wonderful!

erin said...

ohhhh I'm so happy to hear that! I'm feeling quite cranky right now, but this changed my perspective and heart on a few things...agreed, your dad is a wonderful man! Thank you for sharing...

mel said...

AMAZING, Mandi! Thanks for sharing the great news!

E said...

So happy for you! What a blessing!