Friday, April 30, 2010

A letter to my son on his 2nd birthday



My sweet, sweet boy Asher. Today you turned 2 years old! I can't for the life of me understand how it's even possible that 2 years have passed since the day we first got to see you. What an incredible journey this has been to share with you, my curly-haired boy. This year has brought so many memories, new adventures, and changes in you...


You started out age 1 as such a baby. To look back at pictures from your 1st birthday, I'm struck in noticing how small you still were; still a baby, with chubby cheeks and all. This year you learned how to walk, run, climb stairs, go down slides, talk, sing, feed yourself, among endless other milestones that were a joy to witness and experience with you. It always makes me smile, and oh so proud, to see you doing or learning something new. The excitement you express is a joy to watch.


We saw, this year, a passion for all things with wheels emerge within you. Not a train, truck, tractor, bus, ambulance, fire truck, plane, helicopter or motorbike goes by without you taking notice and commenting. You have somehow learned the model name of all your dinky cars, and not a day goes by where you don't play with them; Lincoln, Buick, Audi, Hot Rod, Firebird, Charger, and Dune Buggy. It amazes me that you remember this. I often have found you lying on the ground watching the wheels as you push your cars around.


Friendships emerged this year in an amazing way! You often talk about Noah, Marek, Maaike, Josiah, and Lauren, calling them "friends". You love to play along side these tots, often hugging and laughing with them. You have learned to say your sorry or give a hug, which is what you usually choose to do, when you've hurt someone. You know when someone is sad and feel sad with them. Your understanding of friends has even spread to you saying "Mama, Papa, Asher, friends". I'm glad you express love, my boy, and I hope you always have enthusiasm for those that you love!


More than ever I've come to know you as a timid and shy boy, who is slow to warm up, easy to get frustrated, and loves the familiar routine more than anything. I think you come by these traits honestly as I certainly see aspects of myself and your Papa in this description. Your thumb, and some one's sleeve, are always close by as a comfort to you, and Jams and your monkey are never far behind!


This year had it's share of challenges too; learning how to walk, teething, and endless ear infections were at the top of our worry list for a long time. In these moments we have come to rely on Jesus more than ever, and that has been such a good thing for our family to walk through together.


Speaking of Jesus, we're still reading that bible every night, but this year you got a new one. You know this as part of your familiar bedtime routine. For the longest time every time we sat down to eat you would say "Amen!" I hope Jesus is always the light of your life, my boy, and I pray that through these years together we would be able to help you to know and love Him.


I hope you always, always know, Asher, that you bring a joy to my heart, hope to my spirit and give that sparkle to my eyes. I am so proud of who you are and am so excited to see who you are becoming. I'm thankful for each and every day we have to live, learn, laugh and love together. No matter what journeys are ahead of us, I will love you always, and am proud to call you my son.


Love,
your Mama

4 comments:

AIM said...

*weeping*
That was awesome, Mandi.
xo

mel said...

Oh boy, I bet you shed a few tears yourself writing this, Mandi. This is a beautiful gift to Asher.

Erin said...

and now I'm crying....

Such a gift you are my friend!

Mandi said...

Thanks for your encouragement girls. I knew I wanted to do this, and I'm glad I took the time. I hope it's something that Asher will enjoy reading someday!