Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cruise day 7 - Princess Cays, Bahamas & our return home

Our final day of our cruise started with a special surprise for Greg!


Since part of our reason for going on the cruise was to celebrate Greg turning 30, the cruise line had balloons outside of our bedroom door for the day. It was a fun way to come back to our room throughout the day to see these.

Day 7 found us in Princess Cays, Bahamas, which is the cruise lines private beach on the Island of Eleuthera. It was a total beach day, and it rocked!


We also had a scheduled shore excursion - a glass bottom boat ride - which was great. We got to boat over coral reefs and observe the life within.


The pictures don't do it justice. The water was so crystal clear, and it was cool to see all the neat stuff living under there. The Bahamas have the clearest salt waters in the world! Amazing. We saw lots of neat fish, a sting ray and a sea turtle.

We swam in that beautiful water on the beach and hung out in our beach clam shell that we had rented for the day.


The beach was beautiful and I could have spent all day there!

That night we had to have our luggage out before we went to dinner as the cruise staff took care of getting it off the boat for us. We enjoyed dinner at the buffet and caught the evening "Farewell Variety Show" with some of our favorite entertainers from the week. We watched half of a movie under the stars - "Love Happens" - but it wasn't that great so we didn't finish it.

Pulling into port the next day was a highlight for Greg, and he was up before the sun taking pictures again.



Disembarking the boat was very well organized by the cruise and we had no troubles getting our transfer to the airport, or flying home. It was a long day though, as we only pulled into our driveway at 10PM that night, and had been up since about 6:00.

My overall impressions of the cruise:

- It was fun and there was LOTS to do! Never a dull moment on that boat, and we didn't even do 1/4 of the things you could have done.

- I really enjoyed the chance to visit several countries on one trip and not having to do any of the planning.

- The trip was maybe not as relaxing as I could have used, or expected it to be. We didn't have to get off the boat in every port, but we just wanted to. I would have liked another "down" day.

- I'm not sure I would choose anytime dining next time. Although it's a risk of getting put with people you don't connect with at the scheduled dining, we also would have liked the opportunity to get to know some people a bit better. With anytime dining, you dine with different folks (or by yourself) every night, so you meet lots of people, but you never really get to know anyone.

- I think I always had a bit of residual fear floating around being on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Maybe it's just the pregnant worry side of me coming out, but the "what ifs" were at the back of my mind.

- The food was really great, but I could have used more vegetarian options, especially at supper. A salad bar does not qualify as a vegetarian option.

- Breakfast was my favorite meal of the day, every day.

- I wished the pool areas weren't so busy, and that it hadn't been so difficult to secure a lounge chair to lay in the sun.

- I loved the chance to have fun and connect with Greg again. I felt like I actually saw him as a real person again, and not just my husband. I think in everyday life we can forget to actually "see" what's right in front of us. It was great to "see" Greg again, for who he is, and all his little quirks that are so him.

- I loved the break from the everyday routine. It was awesome to have no worries or responsibilities for a week.

- I missed Asher like crazy, but it got easier as the cruise went on. I was reminded of how important it is for me to take the time to do things for myself and my marriage. It's hard to do that with a young family, but I know it was good for all of us. I also especially noted a change in the relationship between Asher and his grandparents - they definitely seem closer now.

Our reunion with Asher was great. He was just coming down with a flu the day we picked him up, so he wasn't feeling the greatest. We arrived at my parents place bright and early, and the little bugger was still in bed! When he saw me he let out a whine and a little cry and then he just wanted to cuddle forever on my lap and suck his thumb. That was totally great by me!

When I first saw Asher after not seeing him for more than a week, I was struck by how different he looked. We had just had his hair cut before we went on the trip, so I think that threw me off because he didn't look like I remembered him looking. He also seemed SO MUCH bigger to me, especially taller and slimmer. I remember people saying over the last couple of months that Asher seemed to have gotten taller and looked more like a toddler, but I couldn't see it myself. I definitely got it when we returned. He doesn't look like a baby anymore at all! I was also struck by how tiny his voice seemed. He sounded different; his voice seemed so innocent and little. It was awesome to hear him laugh again. So while it was sad for our dream vacation to be over, it was so great to return home to life with Asher again. I'm so thankful for my family, and I was definitely reminded of that during this trip!

3 comments:

mel said...

Fabulous! Thank you for all the time you've invested in sharing your experience with us all, Mandi. I love the bit about getting to "see" Greg as a real person again and not just your husband ... "Most of us walk around in a dream, taking everything and everyone for granted...." Wait a minute, have you been eavesdropping on my sessions with Lars?!

I can't believe you got to see a sea turtle and a stingray among the coral reefs -- that must have been amazing!

Erin said...

agreed with Mel....thanks for taking the time to tell us all about your trip!

We went on a cruise when I was in my teens to the Bahamas. I don't remember a lot, but what I do remember is the water. It is beautiful and the pictures don't do it justice. Thanks for bringing back those memories!

Glad you guys had such a great time together. Lots of positives, and it was smart documenting it all so that you can remind Greg when you get the urge to go on another vacation :)

Mandi said...

Mel - I have been eavesdropping on your sessions with Lars! How did you know :) The sea turtle and stingray WERE amazing!

Erin - Good point, I will go back to this when Greg needs a bit of help to book that next trip :)