Monday, November 9, 2009

just what I needed

This weekend we took Asher to get the H1N1 vaccine. After sitting on the fence for weeks, and much debate and research later, we finally decided to do it. Once we made the decision though, it was near impossible to find a clinic giving shots to Asher's age group, even though he is in the high priority group. Saturday morning, a clinic was offered for children aged 6 months to 5 years. The clinic opened at 10 AM, so we arrived at 9. It was freezing cold, and I'd say there were already about 300 or so people in line ahead of us. Some people had been there since 6:30 AM! Crazy! Anyways, we decided that Asher and I would go wait in the car after about 15 minutes of being outside, while Greg stayed in line to tough it out for us. Asher did finally get the vaccine around 12:15, and it's such a relief to have it done!


Then Saturday night I hung out with my favorite mom friends for our first movie night (this was also the first time all 5 of us hung out without the babes!) It rocked! Good food, good wine, good company, lots of laughs; I love these gals! Of course we watched a chick flick, which was equal parts funny and sappy. (Stay with me, these 2 random stories do connect!)


I had a little moment to myself as we were at that critical part of any chick flick movie, you know, the main-character-faced-with-internal-dilemma-cue-sappy-music part? I thought about Greg standing in line for 3 hours, in the freezing cold, with hundreds of cranky, crying kids around him. Greg, my dear husband, giving of himself, serving our family, providing, selfless, and not complaining one bit. He, doing this, as Asher and I sat in a warm car, had snacks, read books, listened to music, and played with a farm toy; all the while Greg and I texting each other with updates. Greg doing what he does best; providing and serving for his precious family whom he loves dearly, and me doing what gives me more joy than I can possibly explain; spending time with my son with no agenda and no distractions. The little messages that Greg and I texted back and forth, checking in, words of care; a sign that our bond, our partnership, and our communication is central to making this whole thing happen. I love our little family so much, and from the deepest part of my being, and I'm so thankful to have had that morning to bring that to light.


And then the realization of how blessed I am to have good friends. Sitting around with a bunch of women I've known just under a year now, but who have become a staple in my life. Women who, week in and week out, I get to experience and share Motherhood with - something I so needed - and in the end, I get to experience life with. And then thinking of all the other wonderful friendships I have... church friends, and running friends, and book club friends, and old friends whom I cherish, all who have enriched my life deeply. Wow, I'm humbled.


It's amazing how God can use such simple moments to remind us of all the blessings He has given us, isn't it? Lately I have been really struggling with wanting "stuff" (an ongoing issue for me), stuff that we can't afford, don't need, and that ultimately won't bring me any happiness, and I know that. I'm so grateful that God used these moments, and this day, to remind me of what's truly important and meaningful in my life; friends who I can laugh with and share life experiences with; my son and my husband who bring me more joy and love than I ever could have imagined possible. It sounds so cliche, but I really do sense that God has blessed me richly, and for that I am eternally grateful. This day was just what I needed.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Amen friend! I might have got an itsy bit teary reading that :)

so I'm not a running friend, or a book club friend, I better not be an old friend or you and I need to talk, sooo church friend? mom friend cause of Trooper...ha ha ha? I'm going with long distance friend :) lol

Thanks for sharing!

Debie said...

church friend representing.

Love ya! and, so glad that you are enjoying your perspective. :o) may I continue to enjoy mine...

mel said...

(^_^) Sounds like you are getting just the reminders that you need... God is gracious!

Mandi said...

Thanks for the encouragement girls, I love all 3 of you a lot!