Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mind Your Peas and Cous

I love this recipe as a summer salad, and even though it has all the key ingredients that my husband hates, I still make it anyways! :) A friend recently asked for this, so I thought I'd post it here. So good!

Dressing:
1/2 cup low fat italian dressing
2 TBSP sun-dried tomato pesto
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 TBSP lemon juice
2 TSP grated lemon zest
1 TSP sugar

Salad:
2 cups cooked whole wheat couscous (I just throw in a box of it)
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup diced orange and yellow pepper
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes (I just use any ole' tomato)
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup light feta cheese (I usually throw in more of the feta!)
1/4 cup each fresh dill and parsley (I just do a couple teaspoons of dried herbs)
1/4 cup black olives (I never put this in)
pepper to taste

1. Whisk dressing together and refrigerate until the rest of the salad is prepared.

2. Cook the couscous according to the package directions, omitting butter and salt.

3. Toss the cooled couscous with the rest of the ingredients, add the dressing and mix well. Refrigerate for at least two hours and toss before serving.


You should try it. It's so worth it!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Is this the yummy stuff you made for us at the hospital?

Mandi said...

Yes, yes it is Rachel! I posted this recipe just for you. :)

Anonymous said...

it looks good! but, I LOVE your title of this blog. :o)

Mandi said...

Why thank you, anonymous. I just sort of came up with it one day, and not even sure that it necessarily fits with what I blog about, but it works. I think of it as this blog, my blog, is "just what you think". Stuff about me and my family!

Debie said...

okay, so I'm anonymous!...again! I did this on 3 blogs in the same hour. I must have been drunk...okay, not really. And, while I enjoyed the explanation of your blog title, what I really meant to say, was that I liked the title of your post. "Mind Your Peas and Cous". hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I love this recipe, too, but I feel that when you post someone else's recipe (especially from a cook book), that credit should be given where credit is due. Greta and Janet Podleski come up with lots of fun names for their recipes and have some wonderful ones (recipes and names) in their many cookbooks.