Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday's observations: Christmas memories edition

I know my posting has been infrequent over the last couple of weeks, and it will probably continue to be so over Christmas. It's such a busy time of year! Christmas has, obviously, been on my mind a lot lately, and here are some of the things I've found myself thinking...

* I still feel really giddy and excited this time of year.

* Christmastime always brings back childhood memories. It's funny the things that stick with you.

* One said memory is of the Alabama Christmas album that we used to own. I still remember most of the songs. My favorite was, of course, Thistlehair the Christmas bear. Does anyone else know this song?

* I still remember when I first started questioning whether Santa was real or not. It was a Christmas in Cape Breton at my nanny's and I was having a hard time going to sleep (hence the giddy and excited bit). So I came downstairs to ask my mom something, and I noticed that of all the stockings hung up, mine was the only one that was already filled. Strange. This was also the Christmas that Santa washed the dishes after he ate the cookies and milk that I left out for him. Boy, that Santa sure did seem to have lots of time on his hands. Wasn't he supposed to be busy on Christmas Eve?

* My mom was pretty clever once the Santa questioning started. When I found presents wrapped in her closet that said "To Amanda, Love Santa" she told me that sometimes Santa got her to help him wrap presents because he was so busy. Pretty creative, mom!

* The Christmas present that probably got me the most excited ever in my life was my lock-up jeans and combat boots. Man, was I cool.

* I actually did (on more than one occasion, sorry mom!) unwrap my Christmas presents before Christmas morning and then re-wrap them. I know, pretty terrible, huh?

* It makes me smile that my mom still puts the homemade Christmas ornament that I made in kindergarten on her tree every year.

* If you ever watch old Christmas movies that you used to love as a kid, you realize that they are actually pretty crappy. It's true that some things really are best left as memories.

* As a married adult, I've done most of the Christmas shopping for our family. This isn't so bad, I remind myself, once I remember that Greg did buy a cat figurine for our sister-in-law one year. Good thing I make him a list.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, I still have my cat figurine!!
We can't totally blame Greg for that.. some of the blame goes to Brenda.. I think she helped pick it out!

Anonymous said...

So what Christmas movies did you like? My favourite is the old "Miracle on 34th Street". I really think that I still like it. I haven't seen the whole thing in a decade though.
My parents were busted with the sock thing when I was 7. How old were you with the Cape Breton Christmas that you speak of? Aidan's been curious this year.