Thursday, July 17, 2008

some truth

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three.
~Grantly Dick-Read

While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby.
~Amy Spangler

If a multinational company developed a product that was a nutritionally balanced and delicious food, a wonder drug that both prevented and treated disease, cost almost nothing to produce and could be delivered in quantities controlled by the consumers' needs, the very announcement of their find would send their shares rocketing to the top of the stock market. The scientists who developed the product would win prizes and the wealth and influence of everyone involved would increase dramatically. Women have been producing such a miraculous substance, breast milk, since the beginning of human existence.
~Gabrielle Palmer

Breastfeeding is a mother's gift to herself, her baby and the earth.
~Pamela K. Wiggins

Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love - you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want.
~Marni Jackson

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breast milk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.
~Chele Marmet

When we trust the makers of baby formula more than we do our own ability to nourish our babies, we lose a chance to claim an aspect of our power as women. Thinking that baby formula is as good as breast milk is believing that thirty years of technology is superior to three million years of nature's evolution. Countless women have regained trust in their bodies through nursing their children, even if they weren't sure at first that they could do it. It is an act of female power, and I think of it as feminism in its purest form.
~Christine Northrup

You should know that colicky breastfed babies tend to be very intelligent. This may be because they get so much attention and handling and care, or it may just be that smart babies are often colicky. It is, though, partly due to the breast milk.
~ Dr. Jack Newman

Remember how I said that I loved quotes? I know, that's probably a little over-the-top "quoteness" for one post, but I REALLY needed to hear some truth about breastfeeding.

Lately it seems everyone has a story about how some brand of formula helped their baby with colic and every where I turn it feels like people infer (either directly or indirectly) that maybe the problem with Asher's crying is the breast milk (he's not getting enough or I'm not doing it right or there's something "wrong" with it). If as you read this you start to wonder if I'm talking about you, it's okay... please don't get offended. Please. I know that people love us and want to see the best for Asher, and so I understand that these words come out of a place of caring. And I appreciate that people care and want to help. I really do.

It's just that I think breastfeeding is the right choice for Asher and I, I really, really do. And maybe that's not the case for everyone, and I respect that. I don't want to judge other peoples choices about how they feed their child, and in turn, I don't want to be judged for mine. Or be made to feel like I'm harming Asher by breastfeeding him, because I just don't think that's the case. I've read oodles on the topic and, even with the crying, long-term, I believe this is the right thing. I'm committed to working this out; to do what I can so that we can continue to nurse and figure out Asher's deal with his crying. Today I just needed to hear some truth about breastfeeding.

12 comments:

mel said...

I think that even beyond the many benefits of breastfeeding to you, Asher, the earth, etc that are listed in those quotes, it is serving another very important function. The time that you and Asher spend breastfeeding provides an oasis of calm and tenderness that carries you through the difficult spells.

That is partly sentimental (the physical closeness, the softness of his skin, the way he smells, his contentedness and suckling sounds), but it is also biochemical (the release of oxytocin and prolactin). Can you imagine how much more trying those challenging evenings would be without those hormonal benefits?

I'm glad you're able to stick with your conviction that you're doing the best thing, even if it feels difficult. Take courage! It will get easier, friend.

mel said...

(Jeepers, you'd think I didn't have my own blog to post on!)

Anonymous said...

I think writing this was a great idea. Hopefully it serves the purpose to make sure everyone understands you are making the best choice for Asher!

Anonymous said...

Mandi, I really respect you for choosing to breastfeed and continuing it!

Anonymous said...

Amanda
I strongly agree with your choice to breast feed Asher, it is the right choice,We are very proud of your conviction and patience, WE want to help in any way we can

Mandi said...

Thanks for all your love and support gals. It means a lot to know that you are all standing behind me. Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

oh mandi, i hope that my comments didn't discourage or offend you in any way. I am definately a breastfeeding advocate after nursing rachel for 14 months and continuing to nurse even after i was pregnant with samantha (which not everyone agreed with). I guess the only times i've had a hard time with my babeis crying has been a result from something i ate so that's why i suggested to watch for different foods but i know your doing what's best for Asher. I just wish i could help. Although i know that advice from other people can just be frustrating sometimes.

I like what Mel said. My mom told me once that it was the quiet times of nursing Sherisse is what got her through the colic. She said she would try and picture it and remember that loving quiet time with her. I pray that the colic will disapear soon!! These days will seem like a distant memory in a few months from now. I hardly remember the two years i struggled with rachel at night time. it seems so long ago. The prayers (not all the advice) from others is what got me through so i will continue to pray.

Mandi said...

Andrea, no no, I wasn't offended! I know you totally support breastfeeding and so I'm thankful for you sharing your experiences of what helped with you. Thank you so much for your prayers, it means a lot. I already know that God is blessing me with patience, and that has been a gift (I'm not always so gracefully patient). So thank you for that!

Anonymous said...

So i was reading a little today and read something that i wanted to share. i probably should put it in with your qoutes but thought i'd put it here instead. It's talking about babies sleeping problems but thought it could relate to just about anything that happens the first couple of years..."This is a lot like a fourth stage of labour- a very very short period of time in your life, and later on, you probably will not be able to clearly recall the overwhelming fatigue. The situation will improve day by day, your little newborn won't be so little anymore..."

Mandi said...

That's such a good reminder, Andrea,of how miniscule this trying time is in the big scheme of things. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

You Rock Lady. I am loving your blog, and wanted to offer my encouragement to you during this stage. You know in your gut what is right. It is funny, this is a topic in my house right now with a 14 year old (not the breastfeeding of course), listening to your body signals, your gut, knowing what is right for you and following through. Your convictions are God given. That feeling you get, tenseness, or relief in your stomach, that is His voice letting you know how He feels about the situation. You can't go wrong when you listen to that voice. Keep up the good work Mandi.

Mandi said...

Danette, that is something I needed to hear! Thank you for your encouragement. What you say is so very true, and I believe that. Your girl is lucky to have a Mom to teach her this wisdom. Such good advice!